Volunteering with YMCA Ballarat provides individuals the opportunity to assist other people, access or participate in our programs.
YMCA Ballarat runs and maintains the Delacombe Community Hub and Doug Dean Stadium, providing an inclusive and engaging space for the local community to get involved in healthy living. This includes providing accessible and affordable opportunities to be physically active. The YMCA Ballarat is delivering Drop in Basketball sessions at the Doug Dean Stadium in Delacombe on Monday evenings during term time from 4.30pm – 5.30pm.
These sessions are available to all members of the public aged 12-17 years, to get some court time to practice their skills and play a casual game with their friends. YMCA is providing the stadium space during winter so that young people can still play basketball through the colder months when outside rings are less accessible.
The sessions do not need to be overly structured but are about creating a space for young people to practice and play basketball. All skill levels are welcome and the sessions are free.
To enable this to happen, we require up to two volunteer coaches to support the ongoing weekly sessions and ensure that participants derive value from their engagement. The purpose of this position is to provide a safe, inclusive, fun and knowledgeable 1 hour session each week to participants whose number may range from 4-15 people.
We are seeking two people to volunteer from 4.15pm-5.45pm on Mondays during school terms.
Their responsibilities will be to;
• Ensure that all participants complete a registration form and that Emergency Contact information is obtained if parents are leaving their children, or young people come unaccompanied.
• Ability to engage with young people in an approachable way, making sure that the space is fun, inclusive and safe for all who attend.
• Provide some warm up drills and practice to ensure everyone is safe and ready to play.
• Know the rules of basketball so that you can referee a game.
• Ensure there is suitable equipment to run the session including balls and first aid.
• Provide leadership and be a focal point within the session, encouraging participants to remain engaged, focussed and positive.
• Ensure that the participants are playing in a physically safe and inclusive manner at all times.
• Implement the YMCA Incident Response Procedure and complete an incident report form if an injury was to occur during a session.
• Report any damage or dangers in the Stadium to the YMCA Ballarat.
• Open and close the Stadium and turn on/off all the lights and ensure no participant is left behind at the end of a session.
• Liaise with other coaches and provide knowledge, feedback and clear communication regarding previous, current or future sessions.
• Respond to all internal communication, e.g. emails, text messages and memos as quickly and efficiently as possible.
• Be aged 18 years and over.
• Promote the Drop in Basketball sessions.