At YMCA we stand for young people!
We care about young people and helping them lead active and fulfilled roles within our community. We believe that young people are unique and diverse, and we seek to support and empower them.
To us, an empowered young person feels in control of their life. They are confident in their ability to contribute to the world around them. They overcome challenges and realise their potential.
We want to see young people empowered across the world. And we are fortunate enough to work alongside a global movement of YMCAs to help provide opportunities for more young people to grow in confidence, resilience and be inspired to create social change.
To order to achieve this, we have been busy creating environments that give young people access to the best creative spaces, facilities, and opportunities.
How do empower young people?
- Supportive, positive environments for young people to develop.
- Places where their voices are heard and treated respectfully.
- Opportunities to develop their capacities, specific skills and discover what’s possible.
- Positive role models.
What impact do we make?
We work with thousands of young people every year, through our camps, youth services, and mentoring programs. Our programs support young people by:
- Promoting a positive image of young people and their engagement with the community and social change.
- Advocating for, and with, young people on issues affecting them.
- Modelling best practice with respect to “youth voice.”
- Supporting young people to reach their potential, lead change, and be entrepreneurial.
- Promoting and facilitating volunteering by young people.
- Promoting the physical well-being of young people.