This role is responsible for managing a wide range of governance requirements for YMCA Australia and
YMCA Services including coordination of the organisations risk policy and compliance frameworks pertaining to
governance of the entities. The role also provides high level support to the boards and will play the role of
Company Secretary to YMCA Services. The role works ensures that the Board committees are resourced
appropriately and that the agendas of the Board and its Committees support the requirements of the workplan
and strategic areas of focus.
Corporate Governance and Compliance
• Advice, guidance and assistance with corporate governance issues.
Advising the board on good practice in governance.
• Maintain Safeguarding Children and Young People external accreditation/audit standard (with
whomever the provider is from time to time – Currently the Australian Childhood Foundation) for
YMCA Australia and YMCA Services.
• Support the CEOs and Board Chairs to coordinate the successful facilitation of Board and Committee meetings
Manage director induction and professional development and board performance reviews.
• Manage YMCA Australia and Y Services governance policies, including document control
• Ensure policies support the requirements of Child Safety Accreditation needs (currently
determined by the Australian Childhood Foundation)
• Assist the Boards, CEOs and other team executive managers to align strategy and operations by
establishing professional relationships and maintain effective work flow management systems.
• Support the development of a Good Governance strategy for all Member Ys that enables the
Movements capability to ensure all Member Ys are fully compliant to the Good Governance
• Provide a governance training option for Member Associations director to consider attending
annually that aligns to the Good Governance standard
• Enact the YMCAs Belief in the Power of Inspired Young People
• Maintain a thorough understanding of the YMCA Movement in Australia and its strategic intent
• Ensure risks are identified in regards to Member Associations compliance to the Priority One
Governance standards are understood and appropriate controls are considered
• Ensure any emerging governance risk are identified and provided to the risk registers of YMCA
Australia and Y Services.
• Continually improve current governance practices. Manage the project tasks associated with
the improvement of governance practices
Specific Company Secretary Duties - initially for YMCA Services and possibly for YMCA Australia in the
• Maintaining a registered office, notify ASIC of any change in address or change to the principal
place of business, lodge notices regarding personal details of directors and secretaries, lodge
financial reports, respond to extract of and return of particulars.
• Ensuring members’ and directors’ meetings are properly called and held, in compliance with the
Act and the organisations constitution.
• Ensure the necessary registers are established and maintained.